Friday 10 July 2015

Time honoured, portrait commissions

A few months ago, a woman I have known for quite a long time contacted me to do some portrait work of her mother. The client, Angelina Pratt had her son Andrew come and take many art lessons from me when he was much younger. This scenario is one of the joys of having been an art teacher in this area for so long. I've had SO many parents come buy art from me over the years, in appreciation of my contribution to their children's development. Of course! My pleasure! Pleasure to have taught so many children how to draw, and my pleasure to sell their parents a piece of art that they will value and enjoy or many years to come. Such is very much the case with this unusual project I am creating for Angelina.

Teresa 1

This isn't just a portrait commission, it is so much more. First of all, this is Teresa, Angelinas' mother. Angelina comes from a big family, 8 brothers and 5 sisters. She grew up in Fort Chipewyan, northern Alberta. To honour her mother, Angelina has commissioned a few charcoal portraits at different ages of life (Teresa is now 96!). In the next step of the project, Angelina will choose one of the charcoal portraits and I will then create an oil painting. With so many siblings, Angelinas' intent is to have the pieces circulating amongst her siblings for the next how many years (?), so the whole family can enjoy. I think they will eventually end up in her possession.
I just thought it was such an nice idea for the whole family to share in this way.
Teresa Deranger was raised in the traditional Dene lifestyle on the shores of Lake Athabaska. For us in Ontario, this is a  life most of us know nothing about. She is the oldest member of the Athabaskan/Chipewyan first nations, and was married at age 14, in an arranged marriage. 


Teresa, at 96

Angelina has honoured her mother with an account of some good, and some challenging experiences. Teresa was brought up in the traditional Dene lifestyle, and grew up on the shores of Lake Athabaskan. You can read more about life of a very different nature on Angelinas'  blog if you
Click here: thedestinywithin.blogspot.ca/search/label/mama

  
I'd like to take this opportunity to say what a pleasure it was to create this, from start to finish. Actually, I am not finished, and will update the entry once the oil is done. 

Much more news soon on its way,....Margaret

1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased with your renderings of my mother. You have not only captured her likeness, you have also captured her true essences. You are very talented. I can't wait to see what you do in oils. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete