Tuesday 8 April 2014

Thinking of summertime fun, in Pastel


This summer, I'll be teaching pastels at the Haliburton school of the Arts, from June 30th-July 4th. This summer school has been operating in the Haliburton Highlands, northeast of Toronto for over 45 years.  It's
cottage country, a bustling community in the summer, full of many lakes, and nature. Being a nature lover and avid hiker, I love this area. In the summer months, there are an incredibly number of art workshops offered-over 300! There are so many I'd like to take, if I had the time. 
Besides having an art course, there's a faculty show with a reception every week, where you can check out the work of teachers, for next years planning. Then there's the walk-about, on Thursday after class. It's a time where you can walk around into each class and see what's been going on all week. The teachers are available to answer questions, while you peruse whatever has been created. For the music workshops, we are usually treated to a show, whether that be singing or instrumental.

My Summertime Field, pastel, en plein air

This year, I've been given a challenging task, but I think I've got it worked out. I'll be teaching a beginners level of pastel and intermediate, at the same time. As many of you know, I have boards prepared that show samples of what we are doing, whenever we are studying colour theory, and other exercises like monochromatic value studies.  These will all be up on boards, which will aid people in working at their level. Based on this, and the fact that my intermediate students can work independently, I think it'll all work out no problem. I really like my students to be challenged at their own level. One great idea, is for a group of women to get together, rent a cottage, and each go to their chosen workshop. Then at night, y'all come together again, and share your unique experiences.
Sounds like a rich life to me. To find out more about the Haliburton School of the Arts, simply go to www.hsta.ca --Easy! If you want to know anything about my workshop there, just contact me directly at margferraro@xplornet.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment