Wednesday 18 December 2013

Next step: Underpainting done

As I had suspected, the charcoal drawing did not budge. How interesting! On pastel paper, fixed, the charcoal would move easily. But not on canvas! The underpainting is pretty close to what I was thinking. I like the subtle colour change. Having a coloured surface to paint on is something I am very used to from my years of pastel work. Now the painting is outside, and yes, it's tropical here today! -9 c, or +14 f. So it's out in the garage, and I hope it'll be dry enough to work on by Friday. I have painted wet on wet, and like the effect. But I'll try that after I get a bit more oil painting experience under my belt. Also, that technique is great for landscape, or where there's not a lot of detail. If the underpainting is sticky, move not slippy, that's OK to work with. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment