Thursday 14 November 2013

Doors close and windows Open

Over the past week, I've attempted my first oil painting in years. I went back to my old process, which is to create in pastel, with loose spontaneous use of colour and strokes, and then use this as reference for my larger work in acrylic or oil. The piece I chose to start with is a pastel I did a long time ago, but I always knew it was a keeper, and one that said things in it, that I really liked. What are those things? A dramatic use of colour, temperature and light, that makes the painting about light, and how that light dances. I also like the unusual position on the human form, and it's placement within the picture plane, whiel it suspends itself over dark water. Dramatic. I put the pastel up here a few blog posts ago, but here is the finished piece. I have things I would have liked to have done differently, but as I said, it's my first oil in years, and it is, what it is. On to the next piece. For those of you who've been in my classes, you know very well, that I emphasize your skill in drawing and composition. So if you have that skill, translating that to any medium is so much easier. This was the piece I am practising in order to be prepared for Costa Rica this January. I expect lots of deep rich colour there. This piece is called "Feet First", and it's 18" X 24", in oil. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment