Monday 28 October 2013

Back Home from France

         Good bye to 25 + weather and sun every day, good bye to meals made and only time to paint and teach. We did it again. Another bunch of plein air painters came to France with me this October. This trip, we seemed to be painting all the time, so great! Whether we were in town or out in the countryside, there's always something beautiful to paint. In fact, once I get warmed up, I see paintings absolutely everywhere. This can also be frustrating, when energy levels can't keep pace with. I can become a painting machine once I'm warmed up, then generally fall flat on my face from fatigue. Sound familiar anyone?
             The failing colours here in Canada didn't have me down this year, as I knew France would be behind schedule. However, with the exception of Ivy, turning bright red, the colours were barely coming on when we left. So I have already hatched a plan in my head-to paint the fall colours here til October is overm then hightail it over to France for November. I'm sure south of France November beats grey and cold Canada November, hands down. Another year, I will do this.


Chasing Shadows 

October layers in Fraysinnet


                                     

                                                              Souillac Lazy afternoon

Ivy Glory

        For "Chasing Shadows", a bunch of us were driving into the valley, trying to find the perfect angle of low sun for vivacious shadow work, late in the afternoon. We did find them, then I chose to do this scene anyways, though there are no shadows. It's a 5 minute drive to Fraysinnet, our retreat. Paintings, everywhere you turn. "October layers in Freysinnet" is the backyard of Le Vieux Couvent. I kept adjusting my stance just so I could get all the bits of colour that accented this scene. "Souillac, lazy afternoon", was by the river in the quaint little town of Souillac. The Ochres in these trees had me pulling out this vibrant pink--purple pastel paper to paint on and boy -- did it give me colour harmony! Ivy Glory is the eastern stone wall of Le Vieux Couvent, with the Ivy in all it's glory that I had talked about. Time to get out all reds, burgundys, purples. Mmmmmm.
         All these paintings took around an hour more or less. I look at plein air painting like training, like life drawing. You put yourself in an unknown environment, and you must act in the moment. Very free, spontaneous thoughts and choices always lead to freshness in your work. That's been my experience.  it's also risky and much more challenging than studio work. I am not complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment